Movies for the weekend


                          It's the end of another week. If May was the sun, we are currently in sunset. The kind that shows off the most beautiful hues of orange and red in the skies as the perfectly round sun takes its last peeks. We are caught in the stillness of the fast paced world and with it, we allow ourselves to slow down. 

June air is starting to breeze and before it comes, i thought Id go chase a different kind of adventure-in worlds not my own, in utopia, in it's opposite, or somewhere in between. To feel emotions and think thoughts out of my sphere. For as much as the material world has been very kind to me lately, Id like to take a break from it and revel in fiction.

Here are five movies Id like to tick off my list this weekend cuddled up beside my dogs with my favorite tea in my favorite mug, shall time be kind and allow me.


  • Moonlight (2016) dir. Barry Jenkins
A chronicle of the childhood, adolescence and burgeoning adulthood of a young, African-American, gay man growing up in a rough neighborhood of Miami.



  • Amelie (2001) dir. Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice. She decides to help those around her and, along the way, discovers love.


  • The Danish Girl (2015) dir. Tom Hooper
A fictitious love story loosely inspired by the lives of Danish artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili's groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer.



  • My Week with Marilyn (2011) dir. Simon Curtis
Colin Clark, an employee of Sir Laurence Olivier's, documents the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during the production of The Prince and the Showgirl (1957).



  • Rushmore (1998) dir. Wes Anderson
The extracurricular king of Rushmore preparatory school is put on academic probation.


  • The Lobster (2015) Dir. Yorgos Lanthimos
"In a dystopian near future, single people, according to the laws of The City, are taken to The Hotel, where they are obliged to find a romantic partner in forty-five days or are transformed into beasts and sent off into The Woods." 



  • Moulin Rouge (2001) dir. Baz Luhrmann 
A poet falls for a beautiful courtesan whom a jealous duke covets.



  • Swiss Army Man (2016) dirs. Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
"A hopeless man stranded on a deserted island befriends a dead body and together they go on a surreal journey to get home." OMG THIS MOVIE 

(synopsis from imdb, photos are film stills)


Have you seen any of these movies? Which do you think should I see first?

2 comments:

  1. I arrive too late, but, damn, all of those films are so good! (The only ones I haven't watched are Moonlight and A week with Marylin, shame on me). But Amèlie is my go to when I feel sad (something about the french accent is just so calming). Rushmore, I can't talk bad things about it just because Wes Anderson is my favorite director and Jason Swartzman (I think I misspelled haha) is one of my favorite actors. Swiss Army Man is also suuuper light weight and cute and the photography and soundtracks are out of this world (also, super funny). And The lobster is just a mess. But really good. Also, Lèa Seydoux.
    Hope you write a review whenever you watch them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually ended up watching Lobster! It really was messy haha but I fell in love with the cinematography. Ive heard great things about these movies thats why I took interest and I cant wait to watch them all. Also, Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors as well (next to Christopher Nolan and David Fincher oops) Thank you for giving your thoughts on these! Amelie is surely the next one Ill tick off my list!

    ReplyDelete