Living with less, being more



My first encounter with minimalism was with its connection to the clothing style. Not long after that, I incorporated it into style in art and design. I guess one can say that I have always had been attracted towards it especially when I learnt that more than clothes and elements in my art, I can also use it as a way of life. Decluttering my space has allowed me to work more efficiently and simplifying my life made room for things that are so much better than material belongings. Minimalism has greatly impacted the way I view my surroundings and made known to me the things that are genuinely important, the ones that really matter. 

I discovered along the way that there are so many more aspects in our lives that we can simplify. Possessions are not the only ones we can declutter. Today, I share with you things that I try everyday to simplify. Letting go of these has greatly influenced my wellbeing.

Actions

Take it one game at a time. I cant believe Im preaching this when I still have so much to learn. I tend to lose sight of the fine line between time for myself and working especially because it is my heart and soul that I pour into these posts and into my art. There are always so many things to be accomplished but Im learning and trying my best to manage my energy well. Wreck-it Ralph, my professor in Content Development and my aunt all told me this. I also learnt that Im more productive when Im focusing on a single task instead of trying to manage multiple ones because then my mind gets cluttered. Down to the simplest things such as eating, I put my whole focus on it and set aside everything else especially my phone.

Desires

It’s not hard to fall into thinking that we lack so much especially because we are surrounded by physical things. We live in a society that capitalises on our insecurities and tells us having this or that is what’s going to make us happy.  Changing my focus from what I lack to what I have has helped me started believing that life is pretty abundant. It shouldnt take much to be happy. How could I want, even need, so much if so many people can live without these? What is it really that makes me feel that I need these? 

Responsibilities

This is something that I struggled with for a long period of time. I found it so hard to say “no” because it felt as if I was being a coward and Im disappointing the other person. I agreed to work for someone who clearly didnt value my work nor respected me as an artist. I wouldve saved myself from regret if only I was brave enough to say no. 

The truth is, we do not always have to say yes. You do not have to accompany that friend, help a colleague with something, or go to that dinner especially if your heart doesnt genuinely want to. Knowing what my priorities are has made managing my responsibilities a lot easier. It’s even harder to say no to myself. I had to learn how destructive always pushing myself can be before I understood that “no” doesnt always have to mean defeat. Now, I dont continue doing something unless my soul begs me to. I learned to love whatever it is Im doing and because of that, I produce output that I am proud of. 

Media consumption

I used to waste my mornings staying in bed until Ive gone through my subscription box on youtube and scrolled through instagram. It was very unhealthy and so much of my time goes into nothing. Social media is a big part of our lives now and if I cant avoid it, Im going to be the one who controls what I see instead of letting what I see control me. The media I consume has the biggest influence on me as a person, no matter how much Id like for it to not be. I unfollowed people who only offered superficial and materialistic things and started following people whose thoughts challenged  me and whose character made me want to become better, the ones who offered substance. I also started carrying a book with me at all times for when I find myself mindlessly scrolling through my phone. 

Negativity

Let go of whaveter it is that brings you negativity or causes you to be a negative person. Let go of the grief, of resentment, of guilt, of shame, of fear.  We do not have to hold on to anything that weighs us down. Stop hanging with people whose company you do not genuinely enjoy especially if they arent helping you grow. It doesnt necessarily mean they're bad people, it only means that your souls may not be aligned with one another. Let go if they are toxic. Let go if they cause you to be toxic. Same with our thoughts. The ones that cause us to worry or think ill of another or ourselves do not benefit us. A negative disposition can only attract more bad things but the good news is that we always have the choice to let go of them and embrace only those who help us become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment